Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Horde


I can't remember where I heard about this movie, but just look at that cover.  It looks fantastic, right?  Well, as The Zombie Diaries showed, you can't judge a low-budget zombie movie by its cover.
Really, this should have been a great movie.  It follows a group of police officers who decide to avenge their fallen comrade by killing the people who killed him.  Once they get to the building, the dead start coming back to life.  These aren't Romero's zombies.  They're undead, but they run, and they have superhuman strength.  The cops team up with the criminals in an attempt to survive.
Sounds good, right?
There are some decent scenes, but this movie just kind of annoyed me.  There wasn't much logic to the character's actions.  Their entire plan was to get out of the building...but they saw that the streets were filled with zombies.  So...you get out of the building.  Then what?  They never thought about that.  In one scene towards the end, the zombies apparently don't realize that they can climb on top of a car, which leads to a ton of zombies standing around getting shot and butchered (in a scene very close to this one, we actually see a zombie jumping over a pile of bodies to reach its prey).
And the characters were awful.  One of them seems to change midway through the movie, for no apparent reason.  None of them were likable.
The dialogue was terrible.  The acting might have been worse.
I didn't hate it, but I was pretty bored for most of the movie.
I was having such good luck with movies so far, it was about time I didn't like one.

Rating: 2 stars

Tonight is Pontypool, and I'm not sure where I'm going from there.  I was thinking of watching the original Halloween series...but I'm also thinking about watching the first couple Rob Zombie movies (House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects).  If anyone is actually reading this blog, I'd love to hear any thoughts.

No comments: