Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Let's Talk About: World War Z trailer

Don't worry.  This isn't going to become a trailer-review blog.  I've got a review of American Mary on the way.  But I felt the need to say something about this.



I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: I really don't care if zombies are fast or not.  I know they're not the standard Romero zombies, but it doesn't bother me a bit.  If you want to put fast zombies in your movie, more power to you.  I've seen a number of good, fast-zombie movies.  So the fact that these zombies are runners doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I have read this book, and, like everyone who has read this book, I love it.  I have also listened to the audio book twice now, because it's amazing.  (In case you haven't heard, they are releasing an unabridged version of the audiobook on May 14.  And yes, I will be listening to it.)

That being said, I'm still really looking forward to this movie.  Basically, it looks like they have taken scenes from the book (Yonkers, the desert shooting exercises, etc.), and are using the Pitt character (IMDB tells me his name is Gerry Lane) as a way to connect them all together.

The first time I saw this preview, I was a little annoyed.  That goes against the very spirit of the book.  This isn't an oral history of the zombie war.  This is one man being the hero.

But, after thinking about it for a bit and seeing it again, I'm okay with that.

To film a movie as the book was written would be a bit disjointed.  Too many characters.  Too many locations.

I'm not saying that this is the best way to do it.  And I'm not saying it's going to be a great movie.  But what I am saying is that I think it could be good, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

No comments: