Monday, March 28, 2011

Zombie Prom Preparation

I have been asked to DJ a zombie prom in May.  In preparation of this, I have decided to watch as many horror movies as I can between now and then.  Get a feel for the music that is used.  As I watch them, I'll post about them here.  Maybe only a sentence or two, but it'll be something.  They won't all be zombie movies, but it is to prepare for a zombie event, so I figure it makes sense to post about it here.
If there are any readers out there, feel free to post any movie (or music) recommendations in the comments.  I'll try to get to as many as I can.  I'll end each review with the rating I gave it in Netflix.

Let's kick this off.

April Fool's Day

I had never seen this movie, but I had heard good things.  Also, there was an entire episode of Psych that revolved around it, so I finally decided to watch it.  It was well worth my time.  It started out a little slow, but it was a fantastic take on the slasher genre.  The characters were your typical 80s slasher characters. but it was extremely well done.  When it finally started moving, it was pretty tense for the rest of the way.  It was a unique take on the genre, with some fairly interesting little twists.  I loved it.

Rating: 5 stars

Doghouse

A British movie, following a group of friends who go away for the weekend to a small town.  When they get there, they find that the town is full of women...and those women are all crazy.  I had heard it was a zombie movie, but that's not technically correct.  The women weren't undead...rather, they had all been infected with a virus.  It was bloody and crazy and hilarious.  I loved it.

Rating: 5 stars

Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College

I enjoyed the first couple Ghoulies movies, so I thought I'd track this one down.  I should've known from the cover that this would be different.  Where the first two were trying to be scary (yet were funny), this one fully embraced the campiness.  The Ghoulies were wisecracking pranksters.  Sure, they killed a couple people (one by plunger to the face), but most of the time they were perfect content to spy on girls in the shower and drink lots of beer.  It made me laugh, but not nearly as much as the first two movies did.  This one was trying to be funny...and that made it not nearly as funny as when it was trying to be a serious horror movie.
That being said, I'm still going to watch Ghoulies 4.

Rating: 3 stars

Child's Play

I don't know how I had never seen this movie...but now I have.  I liked it.  I had seen bits and pieces of some of the later movies, so I fully expected this movie to be goofy.  It wasn't at all.  It was a serious horror movie, and was actually fairly creepy at times.  Some parts were obviously pretty cheesy (it is, after all, an 80s horror movie involving a talking doll), but it was darker than I expected, and I liked it more than I thought I would.  I plan on watching the rest of them at some point, but this was a good beginning to the series.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments: