Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Nightmare on Elm Street


Description from Netflix:
Years after being burned alive by a mob of angry parents, child murderer Freddy Krueger returns to haunt the dreams and waking hours of small-town teens in this spine-chilling slasher classic from director Wes Craven.

Notable actors: Robert Englund, Johnny Depp, Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss, Lin Shaye, John Saxon

My thoughts:
Whenever I watch the sequels, then go back and watch this one, I'm always surprised by how much different this is.  In the later movies (starting with part 3, really), Freddy is a likable, wise-cracking killer.  You're not exactly rooting for him, but you are drawn to him.


Not so with this movie.  He doesn't have many lines, and he certainly isn't cracking any jokes. He's a menacing, stalking child-killer.  It's a dark movie, with no room for jokes or laughs.
It feels a bit dated at times (the scene with the long arms looks especially cheesy), but, overall, this movie still holds up remarkably well.


I never saw this series as a child, so I know it's not nostalgia that keeps drawing me back to these movies.  While I can't say that this ranks as high as the original Halloween on my list of horror movies, it certainly isn't too far off.

Rating: 5/5

No comments: