Saturday, October 27, 2012

Dr. Giggles


Description from Netflix:
Psychotic doctor Evan Rendell -- aka Dr. Giggles -- escapes from a mental institution and returns to his hometown to exact revenge on the locals who killed his father.  The doctor commits a string of gory murders with the surgical tools he has at his disposal.  But the fun really begins when Rendell comes across a girl who's waiting for a heart transplant and decides to take the surgery into his own hands.

Notable actors: Larry Drake, Doug E. Doug

My thoughts:
I remember seeing this movie at the local video store.  I was always curious about it, but never actually got around to watching it.
For better or worse, that changed last night.

"He should've kept his hands to himself" - Dr. Giggles, stand-up comedian

This movie is exactly what I thought it would be.  It takes itself completely seriously, even though it's absolutely ridiculous and terrible.  In other words, your standard early-90s slasher.

He goes through town, killing people with his comically oversized medical supplies.  A massive blood-pressure cuff around a man's head.  A huge thermometer (with a spike on the end) into a girls' mouth.  A reflex hammer to beat a man to death.  And so on.


And, of course, every kill is followed (or preceded) by a punny one-liner.  
On top of those, there are a ton of absolutely horrible lines in here.  A couple of my favorites that I wrote down:

"Ahead of his time, but out of his mind."  (This could've been a quote in a Back to the Future movie, as well.)
"I don't have to promise you doodely squat."

My favorite moments:
- The fact that the main girl had a heart condition.  I don't know why, but that absolutely killed me.  It played into the plot, but it was still ridiculous.  The doctor (her real doctor, not Dr. Giggles) told her that she needed to avoid all strenuous activities, and also to avoid drinking.  So, in her moment of rebellion, she drinks a couple glasses of wine.  She also runs around town for a while, but that doesn't seem to kill her heart.

- Dr. Giggles returns to his childhood home.  It's a horribly broken-down house in the middle of a rich neighborhood.  There also appears to be a doctor's office in the house.  Let me say this again: it was a in a VERY rich neighborhood.  And his house looked like this:


I find it hard to believe that the house wouldn't have been torn down by now.

- There's a scene in a house of mirrors that is so spectacular, I can't even begin to describe it.  It's simply amazing.

- In a flashback scene, we see a young Dr. Giggles crawl out of a corpse.  And it looks like this:


- A scene that was a direct rip-off of the iconic scene from The Exorcist.


- The fact that there were a number of false endings.  I swear this movie ended at least 3 different times.

There were more, but those were my favorites.

This was a ridiculous movie.  And it was absolutely terrible...but in all the right ways.  It's not a good movie, but I really enjoyed it.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: