Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Mummy


Description from Netflix:
When British archaeologists uncover the ancient sarcophagus of a mummified Egyptian priest, they foolishly ignore its warning not to open the box.  Now brought back to life, the mummy tries to resurrect the soul of his long-dead love.

Notable actors: Boris Karloff

My thoughts:
Sad to say, but I had never seen this movie before.  I've seen the 90s remake dozens of times, but never this one.
I was struck by the similarities between this movie and the remake.  I assumed they just took the idea of The Mummy and built a new story around it, but that was not the case.  The remake took the same basic plot - as well as a some of the names (Imhotep, Anck Su Namun) - and just tweaked it a little.


I really liked this.  It had a great feel to it.  I was immediately drawn in to this world.
And you really can't go wrong with Karloff.  Given the choice of iconic actors from the Universal monsters (Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney, etc.), I would choose Karloff every single time.  I love that guy.


Rating: 5/5


No comments: