Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What I'm Watching: 10/9/12


Description from Netflix:
An American in Tokyo uncovers a horrific curse that is claiming the lives of all who enter a mysterious house.  A creepy spirit with a tragic past is spreading the deadly evil force in this English-language remake of the Japanese horror film Ju-On.

Notable actors: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Bill Pullman, Clea DuVall, Ted Raimi, Matthew Mapother

My thoughts:
I had never seen this movie before.  Combine that with my love of Sarah Michelle Gellar - and the fact that I saw The Grudge 2 in the theater - and I figured I was due.


I thought it was okay.  Not great.  Maybe I'm just watching it too late.  Perhaps it would have been terrifying if I had seen it back in 2004.  But, by this point, I've seen a lot of movies in this vein, and they're all roughly the same.  There were a few unsettling moments in this movie (the girl climbing all herky-jerky down the stairs creeped me out a little bit), but, for the most part, it didn't really draw me in.  I never really felt like I was on the edge of my seat.
I remember watching The Ring for the first time and being utterly terrified.  Would I have felt that way about this movie when it came out?  It's impossible to say.  Although I do plan on rewatching The Ring in the not-too-distant future, so we'll see how I feel about that one now.


It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't rank this as a "don't miss" movie or anything like that.  Of course, I don't seem to remember anyone telling me that it was a "don't miss" movie, so maybe I just thought it was going to be better than it was.
It was better than Dark Water.  I don't know what that's worth, but it was definitely better than Dark Water.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: